FMF: Garnets and Gold Quilt

>> Sunday, April 1, 2012

    A few days ago I blogged about the re-print of Flea Market Fancy by Denyse Schmidt and how much I adore this fabric - since then I've started another quilt (and planned two more while working at the shop! *I think I might need to reign it in a bit.) It's one I've had my eye on for a little bit - called Garnets and Gold from little bits Quilting Bee book.



     At first the fabrics in the book caught my eye because I just love Anna Maria Horner but I couldn't use the same fabrics...so I dug out my FMF stash and started planning. Then I opened up the book to the quilt pattern and quickly realized I had to use paper templates. Ugh. I hate cutting with paper templates because if you make one wrong cut - the rest of the blocks after that are not the same. So, I contacted my uncle who custom laser cuts our large apple core rulers for the shop to see if he could help me. I sent him the paper templates and this is what I got back:


Custom laser cut templates for Garnets and Gold - Available for purchase here 
*This got me thinking about DS Single Girl quilt that I've been eyeing up for like-ever. So I had him cut me all the templates for that too! Now I might stop thinking about it and actually do it!

    So after thinking about grain lines and working with what scraps I have, I made a good dent on my Garnets and Gold quilt. I went with warm golds/reds/pinks and paired them with cool blues/greens/teals. We'll see how this one goes! 


6 comments:

lilysmudge April 2, 2012 at 8:11 AM  

I agree with you on paper templates! Does he make them to sell through your shop? How lucky you are to have him make them for you. I love the quilt you are working on! Love your fabrics.

Meredith Daniel April 2, 2012 at 12:07 PM  

LOVE THIS! I can't wait to see the rest of it!

Country Fabrics and Quilting April 3, 2012 at 12:37 PM  

lilysmudge- If you are interested in purchasing templates, send me an email and I'll see what I can do! He's just in the beginning stages with us to see how custom templates are going to work out - but let me know if you are interested!

xx Steffani

2ndAvenueStudio-Rachel April 4, 2012 at 3:58 AM  

seems like this would also work sort of stack and whack style.. it would just be a bit improvy... maybe no templates are required?
I love it, but agree that all that bias requires a full bottle of best press:).

Country Fabrics and Quilting April 5, 2012 at 9:49 AM  

Rachel- Yes, Best Press is a must! Im sure there are other ways to do this quilt..I happen to be working with scraps so its taking me a bit longer, having to cut individual blocks :( It will be worth it when I am done though!

xx Steffani

Deb April 24, 2013 at 3:33 AM  

I've been reading your blog after I found you on Instagram (or you found me!!) I've made this quilt. It was a lot of work but it was worth it. I didn't realise it was meant to be paper pieced (i hate paper piecing) so I just wacked them up with my rotary cutter and sewed it back together. If you want to see it... http://deb-robertson.blogspot.co.nz/2012/12/a-quilt-for-jeremy-and-eva.html

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP