{Quilts} St. Louis 16 Patch

>> Tuesday, April 23, 2013

    Its spreading like WILDFIRE! What is it? Its the St. Louis 16 patch quilt. Quick and oh so easy, its a great scrap buster that will use up all those fat quarters we're hoarding! So break into your old favorites that you are "saving for good" and join us. I promise you it will look amazing when finished.



   Where did the name come from? Now... I know there is nothing super original about this quilt..it has a million different names and has been done countless times throughout history. I just took a more modern approach to it and applied speed techniques to the piecing. While my mother was heading to St. Louis, MO for quilt market in 1998, she did some math and thought it would be a great way to use some flannel we had at the shop at that time. So hence...St. Louis 16 Patch. Thats it. 

  I originally made this quilt in 1998 with my mother out of pastel homespun plaids...yup it was the happening thing during that time. I desperately searched for my original quilt tonight for this post but I'm afraid my sister sold it, unbeknown to me! GAH! 

Lets get started! 

So pick out some fat quarters, iron them well with Best Press and stack them up. Lets get cutting!

You'll be cutting LENGTH of grain strips 4" x 18. Stack up 2 FQ (or more if you're comfortable) align selvedges and cut 4 strips. 



2 Fat quarters will make 2 identical blocks. Sew strips together using 1/4" seam allowance. Alternating each of your prints. 


 Press seams in a consistent direction. I choose to press my seams down. For speed cutting I like to stack two blocks together at a time. I align my pressed seams going in opposite directions. In the photo above I have the seams on the bottom block going up and the seams on the top block going down. This allows my seams to 'Lock' together while cutting. 


Sub cut strip sets every 4"


Flip or rotate every other strip and sew them back together. Seams should nest together:


At this point I press my seams in a consistent direction, in the block above I chose down. Continue piecing blocks together until you get your desired amount. 


    I find it quicker to do more than a couple at a time because I can chain piece them through my machine. For some reason I like to make 4 at first, so I can put them on my design wall for inspiration! Choose how big you want to go....blocks will be 14" when finished. Here is a list of layouts and amounts needed for a variety of sizes to get you started: 

Feel free to be a rebel and make it square, extra large or teeny-tiny for a wall quilt. 

     Be creative and be sure to hash tag on instagram so I can follow all of your creative 16 patch endeavors. ( #stlouis16patch )

     A special THANK YOU goes to Katy at ImAGingerMonkey (who I met a Quilt Market this 
past spring where I totally made a ass of myself and added a british accent while being introduced to her... Fool. I'm surprised she still acknowledges me but in my defense it just came out. Kinda jealous... I have this stupid MinnesOOta accent.) She was the one who saw my awesome version on instagram pictured below and loved it enough to make one on her own. 

   Mine is HUGE 112" x 112" and made for my king bed. Since everyone is jumping on board with me, thanks to Katy,  I had to make another. So I whipped out my old Amy Butler Belle stash and went to work yesterday on a smaller version. 


I've enjoyed seeing everyones choices in fabrics and progress. I promise you these blocks are super quick and you'll be just as addicted as I am! If any of you have any questions feel free to ask! 

I leave you (hopefully) inspired to go and make your own!

Its been Seuss approved... 
(he snuck on while I was binding it sunday)


And Bogey approved...he helped today while taking pictures on the ice...had to share. 

Happy Stitching! xxSteffani 

17 comments:

Ingrid April 23, 2013 at 9:34 PM  

LOVE that you shared this!! I will be making one. Awesome stash buster. Thanks for putting the work in to write up the pattern.
Hilarious story about GingerMonkey! I have been watching all her quilts and can't believe its you that started it all.

sharpie April 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM  

Thanks for putting this all in one place!! Favoriting things on IG was getting a little too scattered--even for me ;) Can't wait to start stitchin these strips!

Liv April 28, 2013 at 3:54 PM  

I will definitely be giving this a go!

ipatchandquilt May 11, 2013 at 8:07 AM  

Wow, this is a " must-do-soon" pattern! Very beautiful!
Esther

Tamar May 12, 2013 at 1:43 AM  

Thank you, you gave me a great idea .My daughter is turning 16 in June, so i asked her to chose 16 fq and I'm going to make her a sweet sixteen quilt.

smithcindyk May 16, 2013 at 8:16 AM  

This will be my next quilt! I love it.

Jodi June 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM  

Found you on imagingermonkey - so glad! Thanks for the tute! Your quilt, and hers, are fabulous!

Venus de Hilo June 11, 2013 at 8:24 PM  

Great quilt, nice job on the tute! Have made smaller 16-patch blocks/quilts (from 2.5" strips), but when I saw that 4" cuts in your diagram immediately wanted to make this: bigger squares! faster sewing! use up some old FQs hanging around!

pennydog June 12, 2013 at 5:25 AM  

Cutest dogs ever!

My inner monologue is Vancouver Canadian (like when I'm typing this), but my real life accent is a mash of Yorkshire, Hull, Midlands and a hint of Brummie when exasperated. Not sure what that's about. I prefer my inner voice ;)

Lynne Tilley June 14, 2013 at 8:16 PM  

I am just finishing a 16-patch quilt, but I have narrow sashing dividing everything. I just LOVE the look of yours being all together like that! LOVE IT. I'm going to be doing this. I'm drooling over the one from Amy Butler fabrics. I love Amy Butler!! Thanks for your instructions/tutorial. You've inspired me!

Nicole @ Modern Handcraft June 18, 2013 at 9:38 PM  

Thank you so much for such a fantastic tutorial on this quilt. Just finishing up my last block and I must say I am addicted! Cannot wait to start another one. Yours is beautiful!!!

Hannapat June 19, 2013 at 6:04 AM  

Thank you for sharing this. I look forward to trying it one day. Xo

Ashley @ WasntQuiltInADay June 25, 2013 at 1:47 PM  

thank you so much for this tutorial. i just whipped together this quilt top this weekend and I love it! i'll definitely be making it again. now i just have to quilt and bind this sucker! love it! yours is stunning, xo, ashley

Julia O'Connell August 6, 2013 at 9:14 AM  

Hi sorry for being dense but my fat quarters seem bigger and I had the selvedge on the left hand side as the prints seem to read better - and then trimmed that off and also trimmed up the edges before cutting - have I cocked up? I seem to have about 5.5 inches of leftovers (in little blocks) - any help would be fab. Thanks Julia x

Country Fabrics and Quilting August 6, 2013 at 10:58 AM  

@Julia You are just fine, since you rotated your fat quarter 90 degrees before cutting, you'll just have longer strips. The reason I cut mine length of grain first (running with the selvedge) is because there is little stretch that direction and I like all my corners to line up perfectly. You'll now have leftovers to maybe add into a border or even make a scrappy baby quilt. Either way you are just fine!

Julia O'Connell August 7, 2013 at 12:11 PM  

Thanks for replying. Have now made up 3 blocks and checked that they all measure to 14 inches and they do! I saw all the left overs and thought the same - they'd make a nice scrappy quilt so no wastage. Thanks - its a brilliant pattern and I am sharing with my none stitch friends on fb & twitter and they are enjoying my 'solo' quilt along! J x

Nancy August 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM  

Great!! Another retreat project!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP